This month was chosen to commemorate the contributions of Asian Americans, and the date coincides with the first Japanese immigrants arriving to the US in May. There are a lot of amazing contributions made by Asian Americans, and it’s been an ongoing journey of finding our voice. The Asian American experience is extremely diverse, but I wanted to share some resources for the specific intersection of the AAPI and LGBT experience- a double minority group. In honor of this month, I wanted to organize and share vetted, helpful material made for/by LGBTQ+ Asians to help celebrate queer identity and to share acceptance among a complex cultural understanding.
1. Resources for coming out and family issues
Resources for API Families (PFLAG)
Multilingual Leaflets and Fact Sheet (NQAPIA)
Family Coming Out Process (Asian Pride Project)
API Parents, Relatives, and Caregivers Raising Gender Diverse Children and Teens (Gender Spectrum and API Rainbow Parents of PFLAG NYC)
Spanish Language Parent Support Group (Gender Spectrum)
2. Asian-American LGBTQ+ representation in media (TV & film)
This is not a comprehensive list, just a small handful of films you can check out:
- "The Half of It" (2020), coming-of-age film featuring an Asian teen growing up in the midwest who happens to be queer
- "The Legend of Korra" (2012-2014), animated show follow-up to "Avatar: The Last Airbender" with a queer storyline
- “Geography Club” (2013), LGBT teen movie with a bisexual Chinese-American character
- "No Look Pass" (2011), documentary of a queer basketball player
- “Shortbus” (2006, NSFW) with an Asian-American woman main character who is exploring her sexuality
- "Red Doors" (2005) has a small storyline with queer Asian representation
- "Saving Face" (2004), probably the most iconic lesbian Asian-American film
- "The Wedding Banquet" (1993), probably the most iconic gay Asian-American film
Asian films that are LGBTQ+:
- "Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga" (2019), Bollywood Hindi-language coming-of-age romantic comedy-drama
- "Dear Ex" (2018), Taiwanese film, romantic comedy-drama, touching
- "The Handmaiden" (2016), Korean film, dramatic / scary, psychological thriller
- “Yes or No” (2010), Thai film with a lesbian couple, romantic comedy-drama, cute and light-hearted
- "Spider Lilies" (2007), Taiwanese lesbian film about a webcam girl and a tattoo artist
Non-Asian but beloved LGBT films:
- "The Old Guard" (2020), superhero film on Netflix about immortal mercenaries
- "Portrait of a Lady on Fire" (2019), French historical drama about a painter and her subject
- "Desert Hearts" (1985), lesbian romance/drama about a divorcee who falls in love
3. Social resources for LGBTQ+ Asians
I serve LGBTQ and Asian clients in my coaching, consulting, and speaking services but here are places for folks to find peer-to-peer online community.
- Nice Queer Pals - Bay Area: a grassroots LGBTQ+ women / trans nonprofit that has a strong AAPI presence. I actually volunteer here! We have an associated Discord group as well and twice monthly virtual socials. - Nice Queer Pals - Southern California: similar to above except targeted for folks in the greater Los Angeles area
- Local resources, e.g., San Francisco LGBT Center has a strong AAPI presence as well.
If you have any questions or want me to put additional links, email me firstname.lastname@example.org!